Total Pageviews

Wednesday 26 September 2012

All I Need is Postman Pat

Thanks for reading, and if you want to know more about the stuff I've played, check out my other posts, or follow me @MPounceMusic on Twitter.

Every Friday, www.MPounce.co.uk will have 2 new Piano videos for you to enjoy!


Postman Pat is a well known children's programme, at least I know it well, but its theme is always one of those that I hum when I want to forget something else. It has that effect on the mind, hence why it's probably used for children's tv.

Okay to be serious, I had to take a different approach with this piece, because the music is one simple verse-chorus-verse-chorus pattern, so I had to implement a lot of improvisation. A more accurate way of putting it would be playing theme and variations on the theme of Postman Pat. The piano also helped in this way because there are plenty of ways to vary a theme like this. You can change the range used, go up/down an octave, or change the dynamics to suite the moment. You can also use a more varied set of rhythms such as quavers/crochets, or just held chords. The possibilities are endless with a theme as simple as this. If you wanted to you could make it a syncopated jazz style, or downbeat blues.

Here's some music then, Postman Pat, on the Piano, Performed by Michael Pounce.



The other video I have put together this week is a performance of James Lewis' "All I Need is Jesus" which is on the album "God of the Impossible" by Cathedral House Media. Definitely the album version is better than this one, but it's a great song, fully representing dependance on Jesus for our salvation. The music is piano based but it doesn't need to be improvised around as much, mainly because it is much more delicate than Postman Pat. My favourite part is the major 7th chords in the bridge, which flow really well and provide the music with a bit more colour.

This is All I Need is Jesus, On the Piano, Performed by Michael Pounce


Lyrics:
All I need is Jesus
All I need is Jesus
All I need is Jesus
All I need is Jesus

When the world seems too hard to bear,
and when my love for you grows cold.

All I need is Jesus
All I need is Jesus

Thanks for reading/listening/summoning the effort to read this far, and if you want to find out more about what I do, follow me at @MPounceMusic, on Twitter or YouTube, or to see my youtube channel go to MPounce.co.uk.

No comments:

Post a Comment